Monday, March 25, 2019

From Jack and Jill went over the cliff...   (A Romance Novel) 

"Sooo... you don't think it's wrong to go out and have 'business drinks' with some random guy that I've never met... that is your 'mentor' and he doesn't think it's wrong either?"

"Yeah, so?"

"So, you've talked about all this with him, then?"

"Yes, of course. I don't know what he has to do with..."

"So, you've discussed you and I with this guy?" 

"Well, I wouldn't put it that way..." 

"So, I'm guessing you've had more 'meetings' with this guy then?"

"Well, yes. Business meetings, Jack."

"Uh-huh. What kind of business?"

"I told you... I'm trying to get my real estate business off the ground and Geoff is just trying to help me."

"By meeting you after your work for drinks?"

"Yes."

"And, now you're home at midnight?"

Silence.

"And you've discussed our relationship with this 'mentor guy' that kept you out drinking until midnight..."

Silence and then anger in her face. 

"Why don't you just go ahead and spill it, Jack. You don't trust me. You never have," she screamed.

"I guess I just don't understand..." 

"Oh, you sure as hell sure understand! How dare you tell me how to live my life. Geoff is an understanding friend that is helping me with my business, you jerk." 

And the argument dissolved into a hash of old arguments renewed... and ended with one or both leaving their little happy home for the squalid pallor of a seedy hotel. Eventually, Jack moved in with me in my little farmstead in upper New York. 

Such ended the fourth rendition of Jack and Jill. 




No comments: