Thursday, October 19, 2017

(Written August 9th, 2017) 


We often think the worst of people after we watch the news.  After all, there are so many horrors out there, it’s enough for anyone to lose heart. 

Yet, it was about three years ago; I was feeling down and depressed.  My life was at a turning point.  I stopped in at what was Cousin’s Subs just around the bend in Baraboo, to purchase my typical Saturday Entree for lunch.  As I gave the man behind the counter my money, he handed it back, informing me someone had anonymously paid for everyone that day to eat for free“His only request was to pay it forward,” he said.

I never forgot that one complete stranger’s gift and request.  It taught me that people are bigger and better than the news we are forced to digest daily. 

Now we find ourselves on the precipice of war.  Two misogynist’s leaders full of nothing but hate and avarice are leading us all to the brink.  And maybe we are North Korea’s sworn enemy.  But, what if we practiced what Jesus had taught us? 

What if we turned the other cheek? What if we lay down our arms? Would that make us traitors or pioneers?


No comments: